Riga porcelain

1841.

Sidor Kuznetsov founds the first porcelain and faience factory in the Baltics. The factory is built in Ķengarags. (завод С.Т.Кузнецова)  

1841.-1851.

The factory produces only half – faience products.

1851. 

The factory starts to produce porcelain.

1864. 

Matvey Kuznetsov takes over the production after his father’s death.

1872. 

The factory’s name is changed to „M.S. Kuzņecova porcelāna un fajansa trauku sabiedrība“ (M.S. Kuznetsov porcelain and faience dish company), (Товарищество фарфоровой и фаянсовой посуды М.С.Кузнецова)

1882.

The name is changed again to „M.S. Kuzņecova sabiedrības porcelāna un fajansa fabrika“ (M.S. Kuznetsov company’s porcelain and faience factory), which, along with other factories in Russia, belongs to !„!M.S. Kuzņecova porcelāna un fajansa trauku sabiedrībai“ (M.S. Kuznetsov porcelain and faience dish company), (Товарищество производства фарфоровых и фаянсовых изделий М.С.Кузнецова)

1915.

As the First World War begins and the front approaches, the factory is evacuated to Russia.

1920. 

The Kuznetsov factory restarts its production.

1922. 

The company is registered as „A/S „M.S. Kuzņecovs“ porcelāna, fajansa un māla izstrādājumu fabrika“ (Joint – stock company „M.S. Kuzņecovs“ porcelain, faience and crockery factory).

1940. 

After the occupation of Latvia, the stock company is nationalized and named „Sarkanā Zvaigzne“ (Red Star).

1940. 

From september the factory is called „Rīgas keramikas fabrika“ (Riga ceramics factory).

1946. 

The factory is named to „Rīgas porcelāna un fajansa fabrika“ (Riga porcelain and faience factory).

1963.

The factory is combined with „Rīgas porcelāna fabrika“ (Riga porcelain factory) and the combined company is called „Rīgas porcelāna un fajansa rūpnīca“ (Riga porcelain and faience factory)

1968. 

Production of faience is stopped, the company is called „Rīgas porcelāna rūpnīca“            (Riga porcelain factory).

1991.

The company is named A/S „Rīgas porcelāns“ (JSC „Riga porcelain“).

1997. 

A/S „Rīgas porcelāns“ goes bankrupt.

2013.-2014. 

Historical factory buildings are demolished, except the chimneys.

2016. 

Construction of a shopping center „Akropole“ starts in the territory of the factory.













1886.

Jakob Karl Jessen founds a porcelain factory. The factory is built in Jaunmilgravis.

1915.

When the First World War begins and the front approaches, the factory is evacuated to Ukraine.

1933.               

J. Jessen’s factory restarts production.

1939. 

Factory is closed because of the repatriation of german factory owners and workers.

1942. 

The factory restarts working.

1944. 

The factory is named „Rīgas porcelāna fabrika“ (Riga porcelain factory).

1963. 

Factory is combined with „Rīgas porcelāna un fajansa fabrika“ (Riga porcelain and faience factory). The new company is named „Rīgas porcelāna un fajansa rūpnīca“ (Riga porcelain and faience factory).

1968.               

Production of faience is stopped, the company is called „Rīgas porcelāna rūpnīca“            (Riga porcelain factory).

1991. 

Latvian – Swiss joint venture SIA „Latvpotik“ starts to operate in the factory buildings.

1996.

SIA „Jesena porcelāns“ (Jessen Porcelain) is established, which renovates the trademark „Jessen 1886 Riga).

2003.

SIA „Jesena porcelāns“ stops its production.

 .